Position: Line Cook
Company: Café Alfresco
Responsible for all grilled, broiled, roasted or fried items prepared in the kitchen. Portioning food items prior to cooking of what is on menu. Assist in banquet preparation and cooking. Cooks vegetables. Other duties include carving, plating and garnishing dishes. Assist in soup and sauce making. Responsible for maintaining a sanitary kitchen work station and food storage area.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Complies with quality standards, department rules, policies and procedures.
- Identifies and select cuts of meat, poultry, shellfish, fish, game or vegetables used in preparation of menu items.
- Prepares garnishes for broiled and roasted dishes.
- Prepares other items needed at broiler station such as vegetables, starches, appetizers or desserts that may be glazed in broiler.
- Sets up and maintain soups throughout the day, as well as appropriate garnishes.
- Broil and plate meats, poultry, shellfish, fish, game or vegetables, along with appropriate garnish.
- Roasts, carves and plates meats, poultry, shellfish, fish, game or vegetables.
- Maintains a sanitary work environment including areas where food is prepared and stored.
- Selects and uses knives, hand tools, utensils and equipment to cut, slice, broil, roast, carve, skewer, garnish foods. Maintains holding temperature for foods, grills, or otherwise produces food in the broiler station.
- Assist in any other capacity required in the operation.
- Tastes all food prepared to ensure flavor, texture and consistency and see that items meet established quality standards.
- Must be available to work all shifts as scheduled.
- Perform any other task that is assigned for the successful operations of the company.
High School graduate (GED), degree from a post-secondary culinary arts training program is desirable. Minimum of 1 year in a food preparation position in a restaurant setting.
Must be able to speak clearly and listen attentively to guests, managers, employees, dining room staff ; stand and move about the kitchen for periods over 8 hours. Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds in weight. Must have good sense of smell, taste, site and touch to understand foods and presentation. possess finger dexterity to use small tools adeptly; read and follow written instructions; possess good smell and taste abilities and be able to do repetitive motions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job listed above. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.